Friday, January 8, 2016

December 2015 - Low Cost Portfolio Update

My low cost portfolio that I started in 2015 finished the year with -3.02% return. During the month of December I made a significant contribution of $29,500.00. Bulk of the cash contribution came from exercising the share options of the company where I worked. I channeled the cash proceeds to grow my low cost portfolio.

I bought 4000 shares of CNOOC at HKD 8.26 per share during December, as many companies in energy and commodity sectors were hammered badly due to persistent sell-off in oil and commodities. The purchase and cash injection brought the portfolio asset allocation ratio to 52.39% for equity vs 47.61% for bonds/cash. It's still within the range of my targeted allocation of 60%:40% at the current market level of STI between 2500-3500.

There were many other big energy companies that I was tempted to add into the low cost portfolio. However as the portfolio had about 10-11% exposure to the energy sector, through Keppel Corp & CNOOC, my next purchase would be outside of the sector to allow diversification for better risk management.



Link to Yaruzi's low cost portfolio as of Dec 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment